We would recommend having your jewellery professionally cleaned and polished every two to three years. This maintains your jewellery and will help in keeping it looking as good as new.
- Apply cosmetics, hairspray, moisturiser, perfume etc before wearing your jewellery; not the other way around.
- Wipe each piece with a clean soft cloth when taking off jewellery to remove atmospheric dust, natural skin oils and perspiration.
- Store your jewellery in a fabric-lined box separately or individually-wrapped in tissue to prevent scratches and the surface from dulling.
- Ensure you fasten any necklaces or chains to prevent them from tangling.
- Expose your jewellery to household cleaning products such as kitchen and bathroom cleaners.
- Wear jewellery when doing physical activity such as housekeeping, gardening or vigorous exercise.
- Expose jewellery to chlorine swimming pools or hot tubs.
- Leave your jewellery in damp environments or exposed to sunlight.
- Clean in a secure location, not the rim of a sink or bath tub where a piece may slip down the drain.
- Use only a soft brush, and never sharp or hard objects, to remove dirt or particles.
- Clean your jewellery frequently; moisturisers, soaps and skin oils alter the optical properties of diamonds and gemstones, causing them to look dull.
- Seriously soiled jewellery should not be attempted to be cleaned at home and should be sent to us so that we can have it cleaned professionally by one of our workshops.
- Diamond jewellery can be cleaned with a soft toothbrush dipped in warm water and mild detergent; rinse under running water when finished.
- Never expose organic (for example, pearl, amber, coral) or soft gemstone (for example opal, tanzanite, emerald) jewellery to chemicals or solvents; and keep each piece in a soft bag.
- Don't expose coloured gemstones to chemicals, solvents or ultrasonic cleaners without knowing their particular cleaning requirements.
Long Life advice:
- Keep your laboratory reports and valuation documents in a safe location, separate from your items of jewellery, for purposes of security.
- Have your jewellery cleaned and checked by us for worn mountings, loose prongs and general condition annually.
- Have white gold re-plated, platinum re-polished and prongs re-tipped as necessary to maintain original condition (generally every 30 months or so).
- Have frequently-worn pearls restrung as necessary, with a knot between each pearl to prevent loss if the string breaks.
- Some coloured gemstones should not be exposed to sudden temperature changes.
- Select daily-wear jewellery that is in harmony with your lifestyle and schedule of activities.
- Treat each item of jewellery as if it were a family heirloom, for someday it may be.
Please do not hesitate to ask us any questions regarding how to care for the particular jewellery pieces that you have purchased from us.